Climate Change and Action
When I get an opportunity to just write, it is absolutely liberating. I have had quite a bit of time to do some thinking, and so I would love to share some ideas with you.
Isn’t it great when awesome people say awesome things?
At the 2016 Oscars, Leonardo DiCaprio won recognition, hearts and minds. It was great to seem him dedicate his thank you speech to climate change. It made me feel really warm and fuzzy on the inside. If politicians across the world don’t listen to DiCaprio, then who really will? I feel that the more time that we spend hearing out the people who have important things to say, the better. Let’s take action on his wise words.
Keeping up the current theme of widely popular movies and TV series, let’s discuss a surprising connection. Just when you thought that movie connections couldn’t get more far fetched than the Disney and Pixar interconnectedness theories.
I am pleased to tell you that apparently there have been connections drawn between climate change and the widely popular series, ‘Game of Thrones’. Watch this video to find out more. It really highlights the need to really act on climate change now. If we cannot catalyse positive change now, what will the future of our children be? Can we guarantee them the same benefits that we have enjoyed?
Currently we are emitting 39.8 billion tonnes of carbon per minute into the atmosphere.
Last Wednesday, I was listening to a BBC World News Broadcast, and it discussed how climate change is truly real. Apparently the state of Louisiana loses a football size area of land every day to the rising tides. These tides are rising because of the increasing temperature levels being recorded in oceans all around the world. The temperatures have risen
It is ‘interesting’ how drastic human effects on the climate can be interpreted as serendipitous occurrences. Recently a channel through which it it suggested many ships will pass through carrying exports from China was opened in the Arctic as a result of ice caps melting. This is suggested to be the route for almost 15% of China’s exports by 2017. It is frightening to think that we are continuing to exacerbate the effects of climate change as a result of the resounding environmental effects. When will enough be enough?
But what is most important in this complex issue is the fact that I am just as culpable as every body else. Trying to eat ethically and riding my bike on occasion just isn’t enough. Writing my little rant is meant to make me feel a bit better, but it really just makes me realise that I have so much to achieve. It can be easy to start feeling incredibly helpless. But submitting to these feelings might be the beginning of adopting an attitude of complacency and frivilance. That is something that I would really love to avoid. It is hard to prioritise the things that matter to the 'greater good’ over the concerns of yourself sometimes, but it sure ain’t impossible. That is why I have decided that I AM going to be continuously determined and passionate about climate change activism. What is the point in living life umming and arring?
Sometimes I feel that it is difficult to share my passion for positive action on climate change with others. I actually spend a lot of time thinking about the different types of friends that I have. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful people that I have met in my life. It is interesting to note however, that it seems that half of my friendship group I can talk about climate change justice issues, and the other half I can’t. Well, technically I could really talk to anyone about climate change, it just varies greatly in the ease through which I do so and the confidence that I have. I am definitely trying to be a lot more confident. Yesterday I did some campaigning for ARC board elections from a friend who is also on the SRC council. It was a great experience because it really forced me to extend my confidence levels.
So where does this ramble of thoughts leave us? Well, it seems that like with everything, things can definitely improve over time. A friend made an interesting comment the other night - cheese is a very interesting food because it is basically milk gone off that has been resurrected into a delicious food. That is also true for life. Just when you think that no one is going to listen to you, or appreciate what you have to say, someone might turn around and say - ‘so tell me more about that’. This has happened to me only a handful of times so far, but I am sure that it can definitely happen more in the future. I have great hope!
xx Erica.

This was such a nice little read, Erica!
ReplyDeleteClimate change is definitely a real and pressing issue and I'm glad you feel so passionately about it. It's always difficult to feel like we're making a change when we're but one of the seven billion people in the world, but I guess one step at a time, and hopefully we can all make a difference. After all, there may be seven billion of us, but there's only one world that we all call home!
Thanks so much for reading it Manjekah! I hoped you liked the cheese ref!! You are such a wonderful perspn <3 <3
ReplyDelete