Developing as a person
Getting involved in
as many different social situations as I can is something that I want to aim
towards in light of my hopes of becoming a future doctor. The more people that
I meet, the greater my ability to empathise with future patients.
For example, The
Ronald McDonald house project is something very close to my heart (haha the
logo). To be honest, McDonald's is not really very good for my heart, but the
project that has been created in connection with Westmead hospital has made it
possible for families to stay with their young children who are in need of
intensive hospital care. When my twin sisters were born, my parents fell in
love with them - but they were also very overwhelmed. One of my sisters,
Jacinta, was born with Down Syndrome. The other sister, Amanda, was born
anaemic and jaundiced. Together, they pulled each other through the ordeal as
all twins do. The irony was, Jacinta was actually a very easy birth - whereas
for little Amanda, she had to go through multiple blood transfusions and other
necessities to get her into good health. Whilst my mother was busy looking
after my sisters, my dad and I were left with an incredible amount of free
time, a reality that was both exciting and a little daunting. Ronald McDonald
House is an accommodation facility for families who need an affordable place to
stay whilst their loved ones receive treatment. They supply a bus for the
families to use so that they do not get too bored sitting around in the
hospital waiting rooms. Luckily enough, my dad just happened to have a bus
licence (what do you know! I must get one of those) and so we started taking
all of the families on tours around Sydney. It was my first trip to the zoo,
the aquarium and walking along the foot path across the harbour bridge. It was
then that I fell in love with Sydney. It was the best of times, it was the
worst of times.
So, thirteen years
later I decided to give a little back. Rotaract is running an ultimate cooking
afternoon next Tuesday to provide meals for the many families staying at Ronald
McDonald House. I remember bringing in frozen curries to put in the freezer at
school for Ronald McDonald House, but this practise has since stopped. I think
it was because you cannot guarantee that those meals were prepared in the most
hygienic way. Understandable. So, we are going to be baking away in a
commercial kitchen, in preparation for some hungry families! Yay!!
Three weeks ago I
walked around Redfern as part of a Vinnies initiative called home visitations.
Redfern is a diverse, dynamic and lively suburb, with a network of very
individual stories to be shared.
Under this program, Vinnies volunteers visit
families that are presently in need, distributing food and clothing vouchers.
We typically go on a Wednesday evening, because in the middle of the week there
is less chance of rowdiness at night. We go from door to door, stopping to say
hello to clients who have already called up the Vinnies HQ and requested
assistance. Sometimes, we stop for a chat - these moments are precious to me as
this is when we really see the human outcome for all the good works that
Vinnies achieves. I think back to all the books and CD's that I have bought
from Vinnies….and I realise that they were all really worth it. It is a similar
feeling to that I experience at the Vinnies Brekkie Van, or the Vinnies Night
Patrol. All the donations, time and effort begin to mean something when you see
a smile appear on someone's face.

Comments
Post a Comment