My Trip to India

My trip to India

I Am. So. Excited!

At the end of this year, my friend Emily and I are planning to go to India to volunteer at a school in Jaipur for a month teaching primary school aged girls. The keen uni students we are, we have been planning this trip for months now, talking about it every Wednesday morning on our ritual run around Centennial park as part of the University Running Society. To be honest, the planning for our trip has gone by so fast, I do not know where the time went. The incredible world we live in has really advanced in the prevalence of awareness of global volunteering. People are a lot more understanding of tourism that has a social awareness attached to it, which is so awesome. I am saving up for a GoPro so that I can capture the moments that I experience in India on camera, to raise awareness about the need to think about the many communities that exist beyond our little oasis in Australia. Learning some Hindi phrases is also a really great idea - I know hardly any!

Namaste = hello

Gosh, I need to expand that vocab.

The plan is that we will be journeying to a school known as Sambhali whose primary aim is to educate young girls, who are often the victims of a lack of education. We will also get the opportunity to show them how to use certain pieces of technology, such as ipads.  They will probably pick up the skills required to use these instruments in a time period shorter than the time it takes us to turn them on! The ability to understand technology is like the sixth sense of the 21st Century - people seemed to have that ability ingrained in them.

Comments

Popular Posts