Politics in the Present



 Since I can remember, I have always had a keen political interest. One of my earliest memories is my dad coming home for lunch (we used to live inside a nursery, so 'coming home for lunch' for my dad literally meant walking twenty metres from the seedling house) and watching Question Time on the Television as he ate a toasted cheese sandwich. I would sit on the floor between his knees and watch as John Howard's face got redder and redder as time went on. The memories.

From this tradition, I began my hobby of following all the significant events in politics, and like my parents, I began to admire the Labor Party as a body who really represented the views of the Australian public, and aimed to draw attention to the needs of the working class and disadvantaged. But I also feel that the Labor party needs to become more adamant in its human rights approach, and shine a brighter light on these issues in our community. Through these actions we can advance forward into the land of opportunities that we are supposed to be.



I attended the 2015 EdCon in July, which was a great experience. It really opened my eyes to the political network that was present throughout universities that I literally had almost no idea about. It was also the first, and last time that I would be forced into buying a political paper that I did not agree with. One Trot came up to me and made me buy a Red Flag! Three of my hard earned dollars, it was. Never allow someone to persuade you to do something that you really don’t want to do.

Comments

Popular Posts